ACCIDENT INVESTIGATIONS IN ROMANIA
Accident : “an unplanned event that interrupts the completion of an activity, and that may (or may not) include injury or property damage”.
When accidents are investigated, the emphasis should be concentrated on finding the root cause of the accident and find facts that can lead to actions. Always look for deeper causes. A bottle of alcohol near the place of an accident may imply someone was under influence, for example.
The reasons of our clients are instructing us to investigate an accident often are:
- most importantly, to find out the cause and circumstances
- to fulfill any legal requirements
- to determine the cost of an accident
- to determine compliance with applicable laws
- to process an insurance claim or compensation
Eurosurveillance CI has handled literally hundreds of accident investigations in Romania, during the last 26 years since its incorporation. We undertake accident investigations and reporting in Romania, Hungary, Republic of Moldova and Bulgaria. We have very good connections with the national and local law enforcement agencies in these countries, so we can deal with a case such as this in a speedy, legal and professional manner.
Generally speaking, our regular approach is this:
- Go to the scene of the accident while the facts are fresh.
- Inspect and record any changed physical characteristics or conditions of the accident site
- Preserve any physical evidence, such as potentially defective equipment.
- Take photos to help preserve the scene
- Talk to the injured person, if possible.
- Talk to any eyewitnesses.
- Ask simple open-ended questions, one question at a time, and attempt to have events related chronologically to ensure thorough coverage.
- Distinguish a person’s actual knowledge from hearsay.
- Ask when, where, who, how, and what was said or done.
- Avoid opinions, judgments or conclusions and be as objective as possible.
- Avoid commenting on the information gathered except to confirm your understanding or to clarify.
- Stress getting the facts.
- Do not comment on liability or fault during the investigation.
- Listen for clues in the conversation around you.
- Unsolicited comments often have merit.
- Review and finalize any notes immediately upon completion of your inspection and any interview or other communication with those involved.
Our long-established golden rule when running accident investigations is: Interview all people involved. Look for all the causes.
Do not hesitate to contact us today for a free quotation and assessment of your case in Romania and Republic of Moldova.